The cut was made with 0.1mm each pass (0.2mm removed in diameter). After each pass, I would measure the diameter at each end of the cut to square up the lathe. From a taper measuring a difference of 0.09mm at cut length of about 40mm on the first half, I managed to bring that down to 0.03mm. Couldn't seem to lower this figure anymore than that.
After both halves were done, I tested it on the beam that will be holding the 2 indicators. It fits with a slight twist.
2 options are now available for me to complete this; 1) drill and tap M5 at one end of the steel rod and fasten the shank to the beam using a M5 cap screw, 2) loctite them together. I'm likely to go with option 1 as the beam to hold the indicators wasn't well made. Once the mill is squared up, I'll make a replacement with more accurate hole placement.
Some pics as always...
|Drilling the 6mm through hole after centre drilling.|
|The 8mm hole is drilled to a depth of 10mm leaving about 5mm in the stock for the cap screw.|
|The 2 holes are not very concentric. Wonder if I would have problem later...|
|The unknown steel of about 3/8" in diameter and slightly more than 3" in length.|
|Testing for fit. A slight twist bottoms the shank. Good stuff!|
|Flipping the rod around to turn the other side.|
|Turning operation done! Not too bad a surface finish.|
|This is how the tool will look like.|
I didn't take any pic with the indicators mounted. Will do that when I tram the mill. Hope to get back to the z axis mod real soon.