I checked my setup once again to make sure I've not forgotten anything that will screw up the hours spent so far. The thread cutting tool was installed on the tool holder and the compound was set square to the movement of the bed. I "fished" out the fishtail gauge (or centre gauge) to make sure that the tool is held perpendicular to the workpiece.
|Don't know if I'm using it right. Comment please?|
|Right or wrong, we'll find out soon.|
|First time running the lathe at 80 rpm. The steel was just peeling off the workpiece.|
|After 2 passes of 0.1mm each.|
|Checking against the thread gauge. Right on!|
|Just about done. A couple of light cuts should complete the job.|
|Inspecting the damage.|
I tried chasing the threads with an M8 die but the die simply refused to go on it. Frustrated, I took out an M8 flange nut and it threaded on nicely though I can feel a little tightness.
|You can see the cleaned up shoulder from this piece. The nut can be turned all the way up to the shoulder.|
|Closer view of the almost done work.|
|Look at the long nip... Rechucking the part with the jaws gently pressing on the threads.|
|After cleaning up. It took me so long just to make a... bolt... The head (or cap) was chamfered to break the hard look.|
Now for the test before drilling the hole for tommy bar. The clamping plate was taken off the tailstock to make testing easier.