Today is the 2nd day of the lunar new year holiday. Visitations start a little later today and we have only a few friends coming over at around 10.30am before we leave to visit a relative at around 1.30pm. Some time in between for me to play!
Though a little deprived of sleep, due to my own doing, I got up early to get some work done. Measuring and putting what I plan to do in CAD was done the night before. Of the 2 components to be manufactured, the leadscrew adaptor looked easier and was attempted first.
This is how the original from Sherline looks like. The object of this session is to make a longer version of this to mount 2 flange bearings.
A piece of 10mm diameter aluminium rod was used. I like the phase used by mrpete222 on his YouTube videos (he also calls himself "tubalcain" in his videos), "the part is hidden inside the stock...". A section of 33mm was turned down to 6.35mm and sand down to about 6.33mm. I overdid the sanding on a portion of the rod to 6.31mm. Did done fitting, no trouble expected in use.
Testing a flange bearing on the shaft to ensure that I didn't go undersize.
Using the fix steady, the end was faced and centre drilled. That was the first time I use the Proxxon fixed steady.
Drilling through with a 1/8" drill to allow the #5-40 screw to go through.
Testing fit with a #5-40 capscrew.
Opening up a short section to allow the capscrew cap to sit flushed with the end of the adapter. A 5mm endmill in use here, follow by a 13/64" drill.
Using the part-off tool to turn the recess for the handwheel setscrew to bite on.
Comparing with the actual adapter. The cap will be next.
The excess material was cut off on the bandsaw and faced to lathe. After cleaning up and deburring the edges, it's time for the last operation - boring the 30-degree internal taper to fit the end of the leadscrew.
I've this small little boring tool which Hamilton from Ireland bought on my behalf. The shank of the tool measures 3.99mm and the business end needs only a starter hole of about 4 to 5mm. Just nice for the job. The problem is, I've not holder for the tool. At my wife's relative's place, I thought of whipping up a simple tool holder with a slit in the middle to allow the bolt from the QCTP to compress the holder to hold the tool in place. I've no confident that it will work as the tool is rather short. The other way is to make a tool holder fashioned after Luiz, the very skillful Brazilian machinist. This is more elaborate and likely take more time. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to make the simple one first. If it didn't work, I'll get a piece of steel to make Luiz' version.
The boring tool - it is the smallest I have.
I've one side of a small piece of aluminium flycut as reference.
The one side that was too tall was cut to approximately 10mm on the bandsaw, using the reference side along the straightedge clamp.
The rest of the other sides were flycut next with the 2 ends milled.
I'm not going to make this piece exactly 10mm square. In fact, one side is about 10.68mm tall and the other, 10.03mm. The dimensions are not critical, but the hole which holds the shank of the tool is. Let's hope my 4mm drill is accurate enough.
Ok, got to stop here. Need to go for my showflat duty from 5.30pm to 9.30pm. I'll finish up with the tool holder and continue to finish up with the leadscrew adaptor in my next session. The Sherline lathe will be use for the drilling of the 4mm hole so that I don't disturb the work on the Proxxon lathe.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone