Sunday, August 21, 2011

A2Z Leadscrew Upgrade - Silly Silly Silly

I am so "talented". Can't believe I'm a "born hobby machinist"... I can even mount the stock upside down to start the profiling cut of the nut mount. Argg....


The 2 M5 holes are supposed to be on top. There goes the effort and precious shop time. I'll have to start over...

What a smart ass I am... I'll pray for wisdom later in church.

A video showing the cut. Don't know if you can hear the slight chatter. Feed is about 500mm/min. Spindle at 2800 RPM. Both numbers generated by BCC. DOC at 0.25mm. Maybe I'll bring the DOC to 0.2 to see if that helps.

YouTube Video

Two things I need to remember for the next piece; 1) mark the stock for orientation, 2) get a thicker piece of MDF.

It took me a while to figure out which side should be facing up as the job is not symmetrical on the stock. As for thicker MDF, the one I was using is so thin that the spindle is almost at it's extreme when cutting through the stock.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

metalAddict said...

I know what it feels. In every project I've done some kind of mistake; the wrong drill, milling to much, a bad calculus, etc.